Go Back   Zombie Panic Forums > Zombie Panic Help > Survivor strategy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Blitzy Offline
Privileged Member

Send a message via MSN to Blitzy
Wink The Newbies' Zombie Survival Guide

Okay, firstly, I must point out that you should only take these as basic, starter tips. There is no guide that'll give you the never-failing guide to eternal life. (Excepting Hobo's, but still.), but these should at least help you fit into this type of gameplay. And this guide is for NEW PLAYERS. Don't mind people discussing, telling me which points I've made are useless to them, but note that these are only starter tips, and not all tips work with everyone. I'm not a Zombie Panic expert myself. I'm a player. A casual player. (Pfft, not anymore, I'm sooooo a ZPS expert. This was written back when I was still a newb myself!) I'm just here to have fun, make friends, make love...okay, maybe not love. But still, one of the Key things about this game is to have fun. And I'm just sharing the same tips that I picked up on as I started playing.

Right. Firstly, the one thing that needs pointing out is...The key feature to human victory is co-operation. Now again, sometimes you'll see one survivor do it on his own, but chances are, he's a veteran player. You're new. You may have played Resident Evil, you may be a whizz on House of the Dead. In Zombie Panic, that doesn't mean a thing. Here, Rambo dies. And the teamplayer who looks after his comrades as they look after you, lives to tell the tale.

- Check your controls
- Learn before you play.
- Share your toys.
- Stick together.
- Communicate.
- Previous weapons experience DOES come in handy.
- Know your enemy.
- Know when to give up. Know when to run.
- Barricading
- Accept zombie conversion
- Only take ammo you need!
- Use your pokerface. Bluff!
- Speed vs Strength
- Metal Gear: Zombies - Use Stealth!
- Don't look back!
- Ask! Be curious! Quech your thirst for knowledge!

Quote:
Check your controls.
The amount of times people ask how they drop weapons or ammo often gets people so bored of answering the same question over and over again that they may probably ignore you. You can solve these problems, and any "What button do I press for...?" in ANY GAME by simply checking your controls when you join a server. As soon as the map loads, just press ESC, and check out your options. Sort out your voice tests, your video options, load a spray if you want, and ESPECIALLY, check your keyboard options. They will tell you every function a human/zombie can do, and what button to press. And if you don't like those buttons, change 'em. =]
Quote:
Learn before you play.
Don't be scared to lose big-time on your first couple of goes. You're bound to. You don't know what each weapon does, you don't know maps, you don't know objectives on ZPO maps (By the way. ZPS_mapname means a typical survival game, whereas ZPO_mapname means an objective map. Look around the forums for an explanation. )

Stick around with other players. You're new to the game, so people won't moan at you for doing newbie stuff. (Unless they're idiots. Or if you should know better. xD) Learn maps, learn weapons, and basically, just get a feel for the game.
Quote:
Share your toys.
You're in a room. You see a table. SOMEHOW, you've managed to find some sort of weapon stock that includes two magnums, two rifles and a shotgun.
If this were Resi, you'd probably be like "SQUEAL! ZOMBIE KILLING TOYS JUST FOR ME!". In Zombie Panic, if you take all those weapons with no plan of sharing, you're dead.

Many times, players here get asked "Why do humans move so slowly?" and that's thanks to the weight system. Notice the small bar with an icon of a guy running on the spot on the top-left of your screen? That's your stamina. When it gets to about two bars, you're gonna move like a slug. Continuous movement, jumping and ESPECIALLY excess weapon weight all drain your stamina. So the more weapons you're carrying, the slower you're going to move. And that makes you SO easy for zombies to catch. You should NEVER have all five inventory slots filled, and ideally, should only stick with a max of three weapons. "What, I need three weapons to win?" No. If there are more players, and less ammo, give a weapon or two away. If there are less players, and more ammo, help yourself, but don't get greedy. Always remember that SPEED is key to humans, and filling your slots drains you big-time.

Two people with two rifles kill far better than one person with five. And you will get far more respect as being a teamplayer than having the most kills on the scoreboard. The scoreboard DOESN'T matter. No-one gives a crap about whether you're first, or last. Kills don't save. Kills are worthless; they don't mean a thing. Kills are not a good indicator of good players. Sharing/surviving is. Even if you've got 3 kills and are fifth on the board, people DO remember the ones who gave them ammo/weapons, the ones who saved their lives, and there may always be the occasion when the person you saved saves you. (And this has happened to me several times before. Thanks, guys.) And in short, sharing/co-operation will make you many friends in this community.

You're not a powerhouse. You're probably not going to get the chance to use those two rifles and your shotgun all in one round (Even if you think you're the 1337 when it comes to guns.) So my advice is share those weapons of yours. If you know there's a couple of humans behind you, leave the weapons, get to a place you'll be safe to type for a minute, and tell them by TEAMCHAT where they are. (Don't do it by voice, and don't do it by allchat. Zombies'll pick up on this, and may gather round these weapons to ambush your comrades).

If you're ammo-hunting for those holding out behind a barricade or something, always go ammo-hunting with other people (about 2-4) and never on your own. Split all the found ammo between you so you can carry it more easily, and head back to the barricade. Don't ever say on ALLCHAT or VOICECHAT that you're going for an ammo-hunt, and always check your group actually NEEDS ammo before hunting. When/If you return, dump the ammo you can spare in the middle of the room, and allow anyone who needs it to pick it up. (Don't be greedy and take what you don't need.) Don't know how to drop? See "Check your options" above.
Quote:
Stick together.
How many cliche zombie movies have the guy who says "Stick together."? There's even the guy in this game who, at the beginning of the round says "Stick together." Why? That's how you survive.

Think like a zombie. Would you go for a group of humans, or the one fool who wandered off to find the rifle first? A key tactic for zombies is to pick humans off one by one, and the way to combat this, is to stick together. You'll find ammo/weapons which ideally will be shared within the group, and have a VERY high chance of survival. If you see one of your comrades getting chased by a zombie, don't leave him to die. Help your fellow man (IN THE NAVY!!! *ahem*), and open fire.

If you've got a rifle, magnum, shotgun, awesome! But don't wander off thinking "Well, I got what I wanted, screw you guys, I'm goin' Rambo". There are going to be humans in the group that only have a pistol, and since you picked the rifle up, you're the one that needs to be providing the firepower for the group. Kills don't matter, but assisting those that don't have weapons matters a lot. If those survivors die, they come back as zombies. So if you keep more people alive, that's less zombies YOU have to deal with!

If you're unlucky enough to only have a pistol, and the ammo/weapons have been all shared out and STILL can't cover the spread of providing everyone with a decent weapon, don't fret. Don't shout down the mic about being stuck with a pistol and ordering the guy to give you his rifle if that's the only weapon he's got. Instead, stick with him. Like I've said, kill don't matter. You want to survive. So to do that, stick around with the weapon guys. They won't mind a buddy, since you can act as their zombie spotter, and help them pick up ammo if you find stashes, so the one guy doesn't have to slow himself down like crazy.

Last edited by Blitzy : 07-12-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Blitzy Offline
Privileged Member

And some more points...

Quote:
Communicate.

You need to keep track of many things in-game. Your comrades' locations, their ammo count, who needs a weapon and who's just found a stash, who knows the map and who needs to follow someone to learn the layout.

Allchat/Voicechat are fine for general discussion, such as talking about what's on TV while you're playing, but using them to provide in-game info for others is risky. Zombies can see all-chat too, and even if team-voicechat is on, ZOMBIES CAN HEAR YOU! You might not be able to hear them, but they can definitely hear you! So in other words, zombies can hear everything on voice chat. You can only hear humans. Scary, eh?

Voicechat's great, and means you don't have to stop and type. But keep several rules in mind.

- Don't mention your location/barricade location/weapon location, or any location on voice. Zombies can hear all of this, and will use these locations as ambush points.

- Don't ask if anyone else is still alive. Zombies will learn that if you need to ask that, you've split up from everyone else.

- Don't tell people you're infected. There's no cure, so what's the point saying? I know it's evil, but once you're infected, you're basically a zombie. You're no longer a human anymore. If you're infected, you've basically swapped sides. Don't moan about it, use it. The fun of the game is listening to your friends screaming in shock when you suddenly start swiping at them from behind.

But what if you NEED to mention a location/ask if anyone's still alive? Use TEAMCHAT. (And if you don't know how, check your options.) The zombies CAN'T see this, only humans can, so it's a safe option. The downside is having to stay still to type.

Sooooo....

When you need to talk LONG-DISTANCE (i.e. You can't see who you're talking to), use TEAMCHAT.

When you only need to talk SHORT-DISTANCE such as to ask someone for ammo, suggest holding your ground etc (i.e. You CAN see who you're talking to.) use the pre-set VOICE COMMANDS.

VOICE COMMANDS are pre-set voice clips that can be used for many things. There is a menu with several commands that can help the humans to organize a defense, trade ammunition and request help without having to stay still for too long to type, or show zombies what you're saying on the other side of the map. It's really safe to try and learn which menu each voice command is on, and where abouts they are on the menu to use them fastest.

Keep everyone informed about you, and keep alert about anyone else. If someone next to you needs ammo, help 'em out. At the same time, if you NEED ammo, ask. =] People like social people. Just not TOO social, if you get me. ("Hey guys, can you hear me?" mic spam comes to mind. )
Quote:
Previous weapons experience DOES come in handy.
You may remember me saying before that it doesn't matter if you're a Resident Evil expert or a whizz on House of the Dead. Well, I didn't mean it LITERALLY. I said it because the style of gameplay each of them provides DOES NOT match with Zombie Panic! RE/HotD are your standard "You against them" shoot-em-all games. They're the ones where you're a one-man army. In Zombie Panic, it doesn't matter how many zombies you kill on your own. You have to be able to work as a team to survive, and the victory key is to survive, not to kill.

Despite this, other shooter games WILL come in handy in terms of weapon experience, as the standard weapon rules apply here pretty much.

-> A headshot does the most damage. Aim for the head, but only if you KNOW you can hit it. If the zombie's moving too fast for you, go for the chest instead. Just do some damage, but then, only if you need to. (If a zombie's down the other side of the street for example, leave 'em alone. See "Know your enemy!" for more detail.)

-> Respect recoil. Find the shooting speed that suits you, and which gun has your ideal recoil. Don't get trigger-happy and fire blindly, since you'll only waste bullets.

-> Finish your target! Don't be merciful in this game. Once you've opened fire on a zombie, finish it off. If you can help it, NEVER let a zombie run for cover. If they get to safety, they can regenerate, and your ammo counts for nothing. So when a zombie starts running, chase 'em, and gun 'em down. But don't let them catch you off guard. The zombie may be leading you to an ambush point. Even when chasing a seemingly helpless zombie down the street, keep your wits about you at all times.

- Magnum. Aim for the head. One headshot usually takes down a standard zombie, but don't fire all 6 shots blindly in the hope to hit the head. Take the time to aim. You only have 6 bullets in one load, so USE THEM CAREFULLY. It takes time to reload, so you want to make those 6 bullets count. For a carrier, a headshot'll do some major damage, but won't kill instantly, so add another shot on the chest.

- Rifle. Don't keep your finger on the trigger for too long. If you see a zombie, don't panic and let your entire clip go sprawling across the room with a horrific spree of recoil in one go. The trick is to burst fire. This is simply, aim, hold fire for a second, let go, repeat. By firing in short bursts, you're keeping recoil down, so your aiming's going to be a lot better. And better aiming means more hits means faster kill means YOU'RE STILL ALIVE.

- Pistol. So long as you can keep it trained on the zombie's head, and you don't miss too many shots, you can take 1-2 zombies down with one clip. To control the recoil, and thus, get more accuracy from your shots, don't fire too fast! Simply shoot 5 or so bullets, pause, and repeat. That slight pause will kill the recoil from the last shots, thus, allowing you to get a better aim at the zombie's head.

- Shotgun. Get up close, and splatter your rounds all over that zombie's face. Literally (I know what you were thinking just then...Tut tut tut). I'm not saying get right up to melee range where they can hit you. But the key is "The closer you are, the more damage it's going to do." In other words, trying to use a shotgun as a sniper rifle is just laughable. Don't be afraid to get up close to a zombie with a shotgun, because if you can get some headshots in, THEY'LL be the ones running away. (Of course, don't let them run away. Finish them.)

- IED. VERY deadly, to yourself and the zombies. The blast radius on these things is HUGE, so for a "safe guess" as to whether you'll be caught in the explosion or not, get out of the IED's line of sight when it's been placed. Detonate it by pressing MOUSE2 when you have the phone out. Do note that zombies are very scared of these devices, and will often stay clear of them or try to make you detonate it early. As long as the IED is there, the zombies will think twice about rushing. NEVER detonate an IED too early; only do it in EXTREME emergencies i.e. certain rushes.

One key thing to remember with weapons is the drawing time i.e. the time between taking it out, and being able to fire. Generally, shotguns and magnums have very little drawing time and you'll be able to fire them very quickly after switching to them. Pistols come after, as they take about a second to c0ck them. Rifles are a ~~~~~. They can take up to 2-3 seconds to draw. Keep these times in mind; you don't want to be drawing your rifle when a zombie's at your face.
Quote:
Know your enemy.
Basically, leading to the point below, try and learn all the features of a zombie. Learn about zombie vision, and how it works. Learn their tactics. Think like a zombie. Think about where they're likely to target first. Think where they're likely to look for you. Basically, think about what a zombie would think when trying to survive.

And in particular, respect the ability for zombies to REGENERATE. (Recover health.)

One of the many things I've seen that've resulted in zombie victory is people wasting their ammo.

Let's say you're in a barricaded room (Lucky you, ey?). You're in charge of taking down any zombies that attempt to knock down one of the barricades. You may notice that, down the corridor, there are zombies that keep side-stepping in and out of cover, almost as if screaming "I'm here! SHOOT ME!". Don't give in. Don't panic when the zombie sidesteps out from behind a wall, then sidesteps back, and repeats. Do. Not. Fire.

The reason behind this, is that this sidestepping is a key zombie tactic. They're trying to get you to waste ammo. If you shoot, and hit them with a clip, but they survive, they'll simply wait behind the wall and regenerate back to full health. What does that mean? It means you just wasted a clip. Waste a couple more, and you're out of ammo. And if that happens, that barricade's going down.

All I'm trying to say to you in this point really is "Shoot only when you really need to." Ammo's too scarce to waste, so respect that. If a zombie's on the other end of the map, don't shoot. Chances are, you're going to miss, and even if you hit, it's unlikely you'll kill them from such a distance. If, however, they're a few yards away from you or the barricade, be my guest and open fire. So long as they don't have the chance to recover, THAT'S the time you open fire.

Last edited by Blitzy : 04-19-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Blitzy Offline
Privileged Member

More stuff!

Quote:
Know when to give up. Know when to run.
You're hiding in the dark shadows underneath the stairs, away from sight. You're the last survivor, or at least, you think you are. You seem safe, when a lone zombie somehow stumbles upon you, and attempts to kill you. Luckily, you kept your rifle, and you manage to send the zombie to death...again.

Get out of there.

Always remember that the zombies'll be communicating too, behind your back. While you're hiding there on your own, they'll be chatting away asking the others where you are. (Can you blame 'em? They're hungry.) If that one zombie finds you, regardless of whether you kill him or not, or if you can't see zombies chatting on ALLCHAT (They won't want you hearing/reading their plans, so chances are, they're talking on TEAMCHAT...), get out of there. The chances are, that zombie has alerted everyone else where you are. And that one zombie will soon return with 15 others. You don't want to be under the stairs anymore, do you?

It's the same with barricades. Try to work out how long your barricade's going to stay up with all those zombies whacking away at it. And how many zombies there are behind it. If there's one or two, continue holding it up (though they'll probably alert others, so be prepared...).

If however, there's more zombies than your team has enough ammo to take down (and always CHECK with your team how much ammo they have! Keep alert of others!), my advice is: run.
Whenever you enter a barricade room, try and organise a Plan B with your team immediately. In zps_cinema for example, tell everyone to jump out the window if you're in the projector room and you're all pretty sure it's about to be overrun with zombies.

Basically, despite it sounding cowardly, the point is, you're still alive. But always try to bring others with you (Again, settle a Plan B at the start of a barricade). If you escape on your own, you're still dead really, as you're not going to hold off 15 zombies by yourself. So long as you're still alive and not alone, the game continues. Survival is the utmost, but only when others survive with you, so remember that.

To barricade? Or to move? Each has its advantages and disadvantages. You may think everyone HAS to barricade in the cinema projector room, but chances are, the zombies know this too. They'll already begin moving towards the projector room before you've so much as touched the shelves beginning the barricade. Maybe try a different place. Maybe stick with a team and move around, so zombies won't be able to tell each-other your exact location. Barricading with others offers a good defense, but zombies will soon start mounting up at your location. Moving with others may offer you the 'surprise' attack, and let you catch zombies off-guard, but you may run into unexpected zombies/ambush points. The difference in tactics, depending on who's in your team on that round, can often change the outcome of a game.
Quote:
Barricading
Red Hammers -

This is the 'temporary' form of barricading, where you place wooden planks across doorways/windows etc. MOUSE2 changes the size of the board (useful if a large one doesn't fit, or if the small one doesn't stretch far enough), and R rotates the board clockwise.

As these are the weakest form of barricades, they are often used to slow zombies down rather than keep them out, and are best used when supported with barricaded objects such as couches and shelves. In the best cases, planks can be used to keep these objects in place so the zombies can't knock them back. See if you can find ways of doing this!

Barricading with Objects -

WRONG - Whack the barricade object with your melee weapon. Unless it's something light like one of those small green drawers, this won't move the object at all, or if it does, incredibly slowly.
(This does depend on the knock back of the used weapon though. Sometimes, a melee weapon may actually work better than the below method. Experiment, but, the below method seems to work best compared to the majority of weapons.)

RIGHT - Holster your weapon (press h), then right click on the object. This will push it forward with a fair bit of force depending on the weight of the object, allowing you to barricade faster.
(Do watch out not to tip objects such as shelves over, as they can be quite hard to get them to stand up again. To move shelf units, if they're light such as the ones in Tanker, simply walk into it to push it to your desired location.)

You may wonder why, when you're trying to move an object such as a table in some maps, it won't even budge. This is because the person who made that map has chosen not to allow that object to be moved, for whatever reason. If it doesn't even budge when you right-click that object once, accept that it won't move if you do it 5 more times.If an object falls/hits you, it will cause "physics damage", which will take 5-10 health off you. Not much, but if a zombie gets you pinned behind a locker or something, he can push it into you and possibly kill you.

And seriously.
Be careful with grenades near barricades. Your one grenade could take out an entire barricade if you put it too close. If you need to use a grenade, keep it as far away from the barricade as possible.

MAINTAINING A BARRICADE

Just because you've got a barricade up doesn't mean it's invincible.
Almost every barricade can be smashed down by the zombies, and so, it's your job to keep them up. You may notice that, if an object is whacked against you, you take 5-10 damage. This may cause you to think "Hey, I'm taking damage for keeping this barricade up! I might as well leave it!".

Compare it to the damage a zombie's going to put on you if they get through.
Scary?
Good.
So keep on maintaining that barricade.

Stand RIGHT behind it, and keep pushing. Take turns with other survivors, and "split the physics damage" between you.

Examples of Barricade Objects (Similar objects will have similar uses and properties)

Desk:
  • Good: One of the best to cade with. Especially if you are cading stairs because they are long and skinny and can fit down stair cases easily. Also, they can cover up ladder openings to completely block ladders.
  • Bad: Very hard to get through doorways because of length, and if you flip it they become extremely hard to move. Not very tall at normal position, which allows zombies to jump over it.
Blue/Metal Shelves:
  • Good: Great to cade with because they are light and can be put on their sides or up and down. Are a perfect fit to block door ways and you can shoot through them.
  • Bad: Flip over easily, easy for zombies to push, and are hard to get back up if flipped. Not only that, but zombies can actually crawl through it, if you let them.
Red Couch:
  • Good: Great for blocking stairways and can be stacked on top of each-other relatively easily. If flipped they move basically the same way.
  • Bad: Wide. Makes it hard to get through doorways.
Green Couch:
  • Good: It's frikkin' heavy as heck. You'll probably find this on Harvest and other maps. Great for keeping other objects in place, such as bookshelves.
  • Bad: It's frikkin' heavy as heck. This is going to take some serious budging. >_<
Blue Couch:
  • Good: It's light, it's big, it can provide good support to a barricade if placed BEHIND something...
  • Bad: ...Because it can be destroyed. Useless at the front, since the zombies can just hack at it.
Green Lockers:
  • Good: Big, fat and insanely heavy, heavier than the green couch. If you can knock one of these into position, and support it with some other stuff, you practically win the round. Zombies'll have a hard time getting past this one.
  • Bad: OMGZ, is this thing even moving? It takes FOREVER to budge one of these. Best hit it at a corner, if you're even attempting to use this, that is.
Chairs, small draws, and other bits and pieces:
  • Good: Light as a feather. You can knock these very quickly into position with a melee weapon! Provide support barricading.
  • Bad: That's all they're good for. Support barricading. And they're not even that good at it, unless you've got several.
If you would like a more IN-DEPTH guide to barricading, feel free to visit oniman's guide to barricading here: http://www.zombiepanic.org/forums/sh...655#post164655

Last edited by Blitzy : 07-12-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Blitzy Offline
Privileged Member

Quote:
Accept zombie conversion.
If you die, you're a zombie, not a dead survivor. I've been playing in many games where, a survivor will be killed and thus must join the zombie horde, yet he still continues to help the survivors by telling them where his weapons were when he died, or blocking doorways to protect survivors. There are people who, when infected, shout down the mic and order the humans to kill them. And there are those infected, who, even after finding out they are infected and thus doomed to join the zombie team, continue to open fire on their soon-to-be comrades.

If you are killed/infected, the survivors automatically become your ENEMY!

As obvious as this may be, this therefore means you cannot HELP them. It completely ruins the point. If you're infected, you're a zombie. There IS NO CURE. So therefore, you're a human-looking zombie. USE THE INFECTION! Destroy barricades, waste ammo, do whatever you can to sabotage the humans. Or keep quiet and wait to attack an unsuspecting victim when you turn. Either way, you're only going to make it harder for yourself and your zombie friends if you tell the humans you're infected.

Quote:
Q: How do I know I'm infected?

A: There are several signs. The first one, is that the carrier may suddenly stop attacking you, and walk away. Other zombies may also do this; the may attack other players and not you. This is almost a GUARANTEE you're infected, and thus, you may as well leave the carrier alive. If you are infected, he's your new boss. Just accept it.

30-40 seconds after being hit by the carrier, if you ARE infected, your screen will slowly flash black, then return to normal. Except your health icon. Instead of being a cross, it will be replaced by "blood splatters". This is the tell-tale. After this sign, you probably have another 30-40 seconds to start the sabotaging. About 10 seconds before turning, your sound will distort, you will hear a growing heartbeat, and then it happens.

It's also the same with death. You die, you're a zombie. There's no going back. If you had a fair whack of ammo when you died, don't shout down the mic "I had shotty and rifle ammo when I died, it's in the basement!". That's pointless! It's just like being a human and shouting to the zombies "We've got no weapons, and we're in the basement". By doing this, you're only helping the ENEMY TEAM! Unless of course, you're lying, in which case, nice work.

But I cannot emphasise enough. Even if you're playing with friends, family or whatever, if you are killed or infected, you INSTANTLY change your goal. Even if that means killing that nice guy who gave you his spare rifle in your previous life.
Quote:
Only take the ammo you NEED!
Okay, you're going through a map with a group of team-mates.

Let's take Tanker for an example. It's possible that when you spawn, you will be near a shelfload of ammo. You may ALSO notice, that many people will take ammo they don't need. They believe that they were the first to that ammo, so they are entitled to it. Even when they don't have that gun. ONLY TAKE AMMO IF YOU HAVE THE GUN FOR IT!

If someone's got a rifle, and you've got rifle ammo but no rifle, don't say "I've got the ammo so gimme that rifle." Commonly, it is assumed YOU would give the ammo to HIM. So do it.

Now, for those who are thinking "I only take it all because I don't know what ammo goes with what weapon!", here's a rough guide.

RED BOX - Pistol ammo.
YELLOW BOX - Rifle ammo. (Don't forget that rifle ammo works in both the MP5 and AK-47)
WHITE BOX - Magnum ammo.

And shotgun shells obviously are shotgun ammo.

KILLS DON'T MATTER! Don't think that because you've got all the ammo, you're invincible, since you're far from it! You'll be weighed down, meaning you'll lose stamina quickly and shortly be running like a brick in slow motion. In short. If you don't have the gun for it, don't take the ammo! UNLESS you've been sent by the team on an ammo hunt, and you have the intention of sharing it when you get back. That is the only exception!
Quote:
Use your pokerface. Bluff!
The zombies are human. And just like you, they are prone to being tricked. Zombies are likely to back off if they see three humans carrying rifles. The awesome thing is, thanks to the human interaction, you don't have to use bullets to keep zombies at bay.

Always think what they would do. Would you go up to a dude carrying a phone? Knowing that the likely scenario is they have an IED around the corner? No, you wouldn't. You'd stay back. The thing is, even if you don't have an IED around the corner, the sight of a phone in your hand strikes that fear into zombies. And it may buy you some time.

So go back to the three peeps and their rifles. Even if they don't even have any ammo in them, the sight of those rifles may keep them at bay. Don't say on mic "I'm out of ammo!" or "Has anyone got any ammo?" or anything that will spoil the bluff. Don't keep firing a rifle until it starts to click. Lie. Say "Anyone need ammo? I've got plenty!" and zombies won't bother. Just be careful that the zombies don't CALL that bluff. If you're carrying an empty rifle, and the zombie begins to charge at you, you're in trouble.

You can use this in the opposite manner. If you're only carrying a keyboard, the zombies will most likely charge you without hesitation. Swap to a rifle, and they won't have the time to back off and hide. Whatever you do, just remember, the zombies are just like you. Human.

Last edited by Blitzy : 11-14-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Blitzy Offline
Privileged Member

Quote:
Speed vs Strength
When it comes to mowing the undead down, we all love to turn to our AK47s and our Remmys. They pack some insane heat, some insane knockback and some nice clip sizes to boot, all compared to their counterparts. We all turn away from the "Super Shorty" or whatever you want to call it, and some try to swap the MP5 for a more powerful weapon whenever the get the chance.

What some newbies won't take into mind is the need for speed dependant on the situation. I've seen many people grab AKs and Remmys, fully maxed on ammo, on objective maps such as Subway or Biotec. Whilst they are great when it comes to the defensive parts such as the Generator Room or the Labs, they are seriously at threat from zombies when they're on the move. This is because they're so sloooooow. And this is what gives the weapon counterparts their advantage.

The Super Shorty can only hold 3 shells, and it has a larger scatter. That's what many people hate about it. But it's light. Very light compared to the Remmy. And because of its round capacity, you can get away with only carrying 8-16 shells. Which is much lighter than 24. The MP5 isn't as powerful as its friends, and it doesn't have the knockback, but it's lighter than the others. This lightness means you won't lose as much stamina, and you'll be faster on your feet. Which is great when you're on the move. You just won't be that handy on the defense.

So what's the message? Split responsibilities within the team. Don't be afraid to stick with the Super Shorty on an Objective map; make use of your speed whilst using it. If you've got one of the big guns, stick to the defense and don't move around the map too much. Example: Someone else goes to the basement while you wait at the Control Room.
Quote:
Metal Gear: Zombies - Use Stealth!
Don't pick fights you can't win. If, somehow, four zombies just walked past without noticing you, don't shoot them in an attempt to take them down unless you know you can. If you know there are other survivors, try and group with them before taking those four zombies down. Sometimes, stealth is a handy survival tactic. If all you have is a PPK, and those four zombies walk past, then ignore them. And maybe try to get to the other survivors somehow.

* If you're hiding in the dark, there is nothing worse than someone playing with his flashlight on; zombies can spot you from a mile away, and if you're using a melee weapon, your flashlight actually aims right up into the sky! Talk about a beacon!. Zombies can be easily spotted in the darkness without flashlights - their eyes glow. Turn lights on only when you can't evade fighting, or if you're with many other people in a dark area. Else, keep your lights turned off.

* Don't let your stamina level fall - zombie can spot tired/wounded humans easily in the dark using zombie vision. The lower your health or stamina, the more vivid you glow to zombies. Keep your stamina up at all times, using the ALT key to walk, taking rests, or dropping stuff you don't need. NOTE: Panicing does NOT make you glow. Low stamina does.

* Don't stand in one position for a long time. If you aren't moving for about 20 seconds, your character begins sneezing and coughing, and you even start glowing again due to "fear of the unknown"! These sounds can attract zombies to your position.

All in all, be wary and don't let zombies to spot you - stay clear of windows and doors, don't be noisy (jump, swing melees, shoot etc) and pay attention to the other sounds like footsteps. They can tell you if zombo is right around the corner.
NOTE: When walking, your footsteps are significantly quieter than when running. Use that to your advantage.
Quote:
Don't look back!
With the new update of 1.4, one new feature is that survivors now run slower if they are running backwards, and this is becoming a real danger to how a survivor works. The chances are, if a survivor comes into contact with a zombie, they will immediately start running backwards whilst shooting at the creature in question. However, with the addition of the zombies' "lunge through knockback", a zombie can quickly pass through your bullets and swipe you before you can get away. Unfair, ehy?!

I'm not saying stop this strategy, because it works to an extent. However, always keep in mind that you are faster whilst running forward, and if you turn round for one second to look back, that's a small moment where your speed is decreased and you're more vulnerable.

My suggestion is this. When it comes to reloading, turn around, run forward, reload, and then turn back. If you've paniced and you REALLY need to escape, never look back. You've heard it in movies, you'll hear it here. Don't. Look. Back.
Quote:
Ask! Be curious! Quench your thirst for knowledge (which will in turn, quench your thirst for zombies)!
If you have a question, don't be scared to ask. If you're on the forums though, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use the SEARCH feature first. If you don't find what you're looking for, THEN you ask. It really annoys people here when you ask a question that's been asked 10984791249165 times before. Save yourself the flaming and try first to find it yourself. If you don't find it, THEN you can ask.

Some people may say "OMGZ, you iz a noob" to inflate their e-penis, but don't let it bother you. Everyone was a newbie once, and someone WILL eventually answer your question, so long as A) It was a good question that hasn't been answered before, and B) You asked nicely.

Read other people's guides too. I haven't mentioned everything, because the answers may be elsewhere and I don't want to repeat things. (Even if I have borrowed from some, but that was only to emphasise key points. Credit to them.) Just like this one, they won't provide all the answers, but they'll provide different ones to this one. Take the time to look around.
-----------------
And I believe, that's pretty much all the key things I have to say. Feel free to add your own or discuss ones I mentioned here. Like I said, these are only starter points, and within time, you'll develop your OWN strategy and style. You're the one playing the game, so decide how you're going to play it. Hope you enjoyed the guide, hope even more that it may have helped you out somehow, and thanks especially for reading.

Update: Added new point - Accept Zombie Conversion.

Only really because I had to persuade a new player last night to stop helping the survivors when he became a zombie. Worked, in the end.

Last edited by Blitzy : 07-23-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
BloodLegion Offline
Survivor

Nice guide.You highlighted some key points that are usually the weakness of every newcomer.
Expecially the "do not waste amno" thing.It's easy to see people shooting everything and running out of amno while not killing a single zombie..

I would add this:

When you shoot,always try to aim at the head (more damage) and do not keep the mouse button pressed,just shoot-pause-shoot-pause fast,so you keep a good accuracy.

Last edited by BloodLegion : 10-03-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Blitzy Offline
Privileged Member

Added that in the Pistol section of "Weapons Experience". Thanks for that.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:10 PM
qwertyawp Offline
Civilian

also...

only go for the head shot.. if you're good enough.. serriously, if u cant do it, just aim for the torse/ chest area.. common... FPS gamer sense here...
Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Blitzy Offline
Privileged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyawp View Post
also...

only go for the head shot.. if you're good enough.. serriously, if u cant do it, just aim for the torse/ chest area.. common... FPS gamer sense here...
Mmhmm, that's already there. "Previous Weapons Experience DOES come in handy" -> Magnum section.
'Tis an important point though. Nice to see there's others who think the same way.

Last edited by Blitzy : 10-05-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:50 AM
Blitzy Offline
Privileged Member

Added update: Only Take Ammo You NEEEEEEED!

Saw a bunch of newbies on my regular server last night taking all the ammo for guns they didn't even have, in one case rifle ammo, when someone was right behind them had the rifle. So I've added a guide here.